HWinfo and BIOS instability

Gamo

I run HWinfo on Asus X670e + 7800X3d + PNY4090. Everything works flawlessly however if I attempt to restart the PC it either go to black screen or can enter BIOS config screen and all text turn from English to French one by one line or instant BSOD with different error such as can't load xxx.sys or can't load digital certificate and ask to enter recovery mode. Even power cycle BSOD still appears, the only way to get into windows is to disable EXPO in the BIOS and reenable after successful restart.

The PC also running ASUS's armory create and L-Connect from LIAN-LI. The BIOS versions of X670e hero are 2007 and 1807 both have the same problem. I tried other monitoring software and all of them cause no problem.

So these problems happen only if you run HWiNFO? If yes, how long do you need to run HWiNFO for the problem to happen?
You might also try to disable EC Support or the ASUS EC sensor in HWiNFO if that will help.

So these problems happen only if you run HWiNFO? If yes, how long do you need to run HWiNFO for the problem to happen?
You might also try to disable EC Support or the ASUS EC sensor in HWiNFO if that will help.
Just run for 1 - 2 minutes can cause the problem. Asus EC sensor is already disabled.

The screenshots above happened right after I launched HWInfo to collect debug and report file and restart the system. The screen went blank first so I have to hard reset that's why it says POST attempt failing then the second screen appear after I pressed F1 to enter bios screen and exit to boot windows.

Tried disable EC support still the same problem. Here is the debug file. Just open HWinfo without opening any sensor reading can cause the problem. Please help me.

Attachments

• debug.zip
    798.8 KB · Views: 3
Hmm, this is very strange and I have to admit that I have no idea why this is happening.
Try to disable some other things in main setting of HWiNFO like Drive Scan, SMBus support to see if any of those will make a difference.

Hmm, this is very strange and I have to admit that I have no idea why this is happening.
Try to disable some other things in main setting of HWiNFO like Drive Scan, SMBus support to see if any of those will make a difference.
I will try. But to provide you with more information, if I power down and power up the system there is no problem so the problem is limited to restart only.

Good News!! I disabled both drive scan and SMBus and the problem goes away. I can now restart the PC. What do you think could be the problem? Is my motherboard defective?

Try to enable one of those settings back, e.g. Drive Scan so we know which one was causing it.

Ok I ran extensive tests and here is the conclusion. 1. If I enabled EXPO @ 6000 enabled Drive scan and SMBus caused the problem. 2. If I disabled EXPO and run memory at 4800 no problem at all. 3 At both 6000 and 4800 I cannot enable EC support as I caused the problem.

Are you running ASUS AI Suite? That could be conflicting with HWiNFO especially for EC.
Can you determine whether the problem is Drive Scan or SMBus? Which of them needs to be disabled?

I tried to disable either Drive Scan and SMbut one at a time and if I enabled either one of them it caused the problem. That's why I came back to look at the memory speed. I don't AI suite only Armory Crate.

At I told you in the update. It is very unstable at first I thought memory@6000 is the culprit but after a few start and restart later sometimes even @4800 it also caused the problem. Anyway, I still think the memory is the problem somehow HWinfo causes some conflicts with memory and restart process. I noticed another thing when the problem occurred, when I restarted the PC there was a tick sound came from PSU like it turn off and turn on which didn't happen on the successful restart.

Back